1. When you get up from the bed in the morning from the harsh sound of alarm clock, your mind gets a severe jolt. Its peace disturbed. Energy of such a mind is totally dissipated. To gather energy of your mind, give a positive stroke to yourself by any one of the following;
(1) A prayer which you like
(2) A mantra recitation which you have faith in
(3) Think of a thought for the welfare of others.
Each sound vibration has ability to generate energy in atmosphere. Hence this type of practice when followed right in the morning sitting on the bed gives you a stroke of positive energy. Time 5 to 7 minutes.
After finishing your ablutions, these two asanas can give you energy for the whole day and keep you fit, agile, healthy and tension free.
b. Triyak Tadasna
c. Katichakra asna
Advantages – (1) Good for waist, stomach
(2) Warms up the whole body
(3) Gives energy to the whole system.
Time - 3 Minutes.
2. SURYA NAMASKAR
(1) A complete physical, mental & spiritual workout when done with concentration on breath, speed, mantras & chakras.
(2) It gives advantage of 84 lakh asanas.
(3) Cures all diseases ( A Ramban medicine)
3. SHAV ASNA – Dead Body Pose
Relax each and every part of your body. Become aware of each and every part of body & relax those parts. Concentrate your mind on your navel centre and feel the fast moving breath. Count your breath by backward counting of 50 to 1. It is very very important to do this asana after surya namaskar, otherwise, you will feel tired throughout the day. It is as important as salt in vegetable.
Time – 2 to 3 minutes.
To increase effectiveness of these Asanas and to train mind to become one pointed.
1. Breath – concentration on breath increases the effectiveness of asnas by 100%.
2. Counting – keeps the mind alert and prevents its wanderings to a large extent.
3. Speed – Maintaining a slow speed during practice with awareness ensures flow of prana in various body parts which energizes the whole body.
A focused mind is powerful like a laser beam – Paramhansa Swami Niranjanada saraswati.
Pranayama if done slowly, effectively with awareness along with asnas helps to make the mind one pointed which increases its power tremendously. I have chosen two pranayamas which play a vital role in removing tension, anxiety and worry.
Nadishodhan pranayam- this pranayama is very good for cleansing of nadis which are 72,000 in number. It is useful in balancing the flow of energy in the both the hemispheres of brain. It is better and advisable to learn it from a trained yoga teacher. I am writing its steps which may be a guideline to beginners.
1. Inhale from left nostril and exhale from right nostril.
2. Inhale from right nostril and exhale from left nostril.
This one round of nadishodhan pranayama. Such 10 rounds can be done daily to keep the mind calm and fully alert.
Time 5 mintues.
Brahmari or Gunjan pranayama - it is excellent for relieving tension & anxiety. Inhale from both the nostrils while keeping your ears closed with both the index fingers and exhale very slowly making a gunjan sound. Keep your mind focused on the centre of head where there is sahastrar chakra. You can do it in office also.
Time - 5 minutes/ 10 rounds.
Pranayama prepares the mind for dharna which results in meditation in due course of time if done regularly with sincerity.
EVENING – After returning from office, without taking tea/coffee or nashta lie down in shavasna & practice yog-nidra just for 10 minutes.
Yog Nidra means psychic sleep. In this practice, mind is fully alert while body is completely relaxed. It rejuvenates the whole system and one feels energetic and fresh. If done properly then it gives rest equivalent to many hours of sleep.
Time - 10 to 20 minutes.
Advantages – Tiredness is over. One becomes calm/cool and active and fresh like early morning.
A brief outline of yog nidra for beginners
1. Lie down in shavasna
2 relax each and every part of your body
3. Rotate your consciousness on different parts of body mentally.
4. Do not move any part of the body during the practice.
5. Inhale and exhale deeply.
6. become aware of your natural breath.
7. become aware of your inner peace and happiness.
8. Rub both the hands and keep them on your eyes and feel the divine energy which has been generated in yog nidra.
AT BED TIME
Just before sleeping do introspection of full day. Honestly analyze your mistakes and achievements. Take a firm resolve not to repeat your mistakes next time when the same situation arises.
Do some prayer/ japa or think about a noble thought just before sleeping. It will ensure deep sleep.
Time - 10 minutes.
Music is excellent for relaxation. So hear some light/classical/bhajan/kirtan during the day time in between while working in kitchen or sitting at home.
Serve, Love and give is the formula of attaining eternal peace, happiness and bliss. It is a panacea for all your diseases.
Serve- selflessly to strangers
Love – abundantly to strangers
Give – generously to strangers.
Be grateful to God for all the good things in your life and keep on counting your blessings daily.
May God give you inner strength to overcome your weaknesses & adopt virtues like compassion, mercy & magnanimity. May God confer health, strength & success to all those who take to the practice of Yoga.